For over 40 years, The Leadership Louisville program has been part of the fabric of our community. Both lifelong residents and those new to Louisville learn more about the city over 10 months – exploring a new sector each session. Carefully designed cohorts and curriculum provide an unmatched experience.
The Leadership Louisville program year begins with a mandatory overnight opening retreat in August and concludes with graduation in May. During the program year, the class meets one day per month at varying locations in the Louisville community. Through exclusive tours and hands-on experiences, participants fully explore and learn more about topics like government, education, economic development, nonprofits, and healthcare (just to name a few). Participants see it all through the eyes of experienced area leaders who deal every day with our community’s biggest challenges. Armed with new knowledge, connections, and perspectives, our participants are prepared to take their places as effective community leaders.
back to top
Will the experience be in-person or virtual?
The Leadership Louisville Center strives to provide exceptional offerings and service, and your experience is our top priority. Program and event logistics will be adjusted as needed to ensure health guidelines from the CDC and local government agencies are followed. The program is being planned as an in-person experience, and all program days will be in-person if we are able. Depending on the comfort level of presenters and attendees, or new health guidance, we may adjust the format of some sessions. Some may only be offered in-person, and some may be completely virtual. Some in-person meetings may be streamed to virtual participants but wouldn’t necessarily be truly ‘hybrid’ (virtual attendees may be able to observe but not necessarily participate).
back to top
HOW INDIVIDUALS BENEFIT
- Accelerated personal and professional growth.
- The opportunity to forge deep relationships with top leaders across all sectors of the community.
- Powerful experiences that will change how you see yourself and your role as a leader.
- Comprehensive understanding of the assets and issues of our community.
- An eye-opening experience that will deepen your connection to the city and inspire you to make it a better place.
Sign up for one of our upcoming Overview Sessions to hear from grads and ask any questions you have about the program.
HOW ORGANIZATIONS BENEFIT
- Your leaders gain an outside perspective, learn from other industries to innovate the way you do business.
- More connected and empowered leaders give companies more influence and ability to impact the greater good.
- Participants better understand and take responsibility for the broader community, providing new opportunities for your organization to deal firsthand with vital local issues.
The Leadership Louisville program is designed for established leaders who are ready to generate meaningful social impact and contribute to the region’s growth and success. Approximately 60 leaders are selected through a competitive application process each year to represent the diversity of the Louisville region. The ideal candidate:
- Demonstrates leadership their work and service
- May have a senior title in their organization or hold a senior position in their company
- Represents an important organization in the region
- Is committed to attending the opening retreat as well as monthly program days (see the program calendar)
- Aspires to work with and through others to make Louisville a world-class community
Leadership Louisville participants must attend the mandatory overnight opening retreat (August 12-13, 2021) and are expected to attend each of the nine program days. Program days are held once per month from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. The final session is a day-long retreat that ends at 8:30 p.m. (see the program calendar).
Tuition for Leadership Louisville is $5,500 – includes meals and materials, and overnight lodging for opening retreat.
Tuition support is available based on need. The application for tuition assistance is part of the online application.
Tuition support requests are considered only after the class selection process is complete and will in no way impact consideration of your Leadership Louisville application.
As a long-standing policy, the Leadership Louisville Center does not disclose the exact number of applications for any of our programs. Acceptance into Leadership Louisville is a competitive process as we receive significantly more applications than spaces allotted. Each year, the number of applications increases, yet the number we can accommodate in the class remains constant – about 60 participants. Many Leadership Louisville participants will have applied multiple times before being accepted into the class.
The typical class size for Leadership Louisville is approximately 60 participants.
Applications for the Class of 2022 open Monday, March 15, 2021 – May 7, 2021. Join our email list to be notified when applications open.
A completed Leadership Louisville application consists of several components:
– Two letters of recommendation submitted via an online recommendation form.
– Completed online application form.
– Photograph suitable for print and online use (this will be submitted electronically with your application form).
Applications are not considered complete until these documents are submitted.
What can I do to strengthen my application?Participating in Focus Louisville can strengthen your application. Focus Louisville is a 2 1/2 day activity-filled program that offers everyone from newcomers to native Louisvillians a fascinating “insider’s” look at our community. It’s all designed to give attendees a more complete view and understanding of Louisville along with a better sense of how to put leadership into action.
Once you have submitted your application form and all other components, your application will be considered complete. A Leadership Louisville Center Selection Committee will determine who will be invited to join the class. By the end of June, you will be notified by email if you are invited to join the class.